A

Adventures, musings, and scenes from a year spent working in Southeast Asia

January 29, 2012

Durian: Smells like hell, Tastes like hell too

Anyone who's spent even just a brief amount of time in Southeast Asia has probably heard of durian.  There are frequently signs banning it in hotels and other well-maintained public places.

It is a fruit known for its ungodly stench.  It supposedly, however, tastes delightful.  It even has its own well known slogan. "Durian: Smells like hell, Tastes like heaven."

I beg to differ.

Obviously I knew at some point I had to try it.  You can't just let these potential new experiences slip by.  I have new years resolutions to maintain!

(Un)Happily, the Chinese New Year celebration brought a temporary tent city of food vendors just outside my building.  And one of them sold durian.  My moment had arrived.

Don't let anyone fool you, people.
Durian is one of the most disgusting things I have ever eaten.
It's like pudding with a skim on it, slightly sweet, slightly onion-y or garlic-y, and the smell makes you want to vomit.

I forced myself to eat five bites so the experience fully counted.  And now that's it.
I'm done with durian.
The aroma beckons....

Is it possibly true?
Could this wretchedly pungent fruit actually taste good?

Nope.
100% Disgusting.