A

Adventures, musings, and scenes from a year spent working in Southeast Asia

February 26, 2012

Happy Trekker: Pelabuhan Ratu

CT and I finally got connected with Java Lava - a very successful Jakarta-based trekking club catering to both expats and Indonesians.  Their trips are low-key, inexpensive, and coordinated by volunteers. Each month they organize a weekend trekking trip somewhere in Indonesia.
Usually it is up a volcano, thus the "Lava" component of the name. The "Java" comes from the fact that Jakarta is on the island of Java, in case you were not aware.

This month, the trip was a two-day beach and hill walk in the Pelabuhan Ratu area, with the overnight in a pleasant but basic beachside bungalow "resort".

I can not begin to describe how good it felt to get out and spend my weekend active in the outdoors again.  I miss this so much.  I felt so rejuvenated after hiking for hours two days in a row, in the company of many like-minded, fun, kind, and interesting people from around the globe.  It was also a real pleasure to get to explore another very un-Jakarta-like corner of my host country. I will definitely be doing more Java Lava trips in the future.



Me enjoying fresh young coconut juice and a new fruit! Say hello to the soft spiky red rambutan.






Bundles of fresh latex. Super stinky!

Rubber tree dripping latex into a coconut bowl