A

Adventures, musings, and scenes from a year spent working in Southeast Asia

February 6, 2012

More Elevator Fun

The elevators in my apartment building are nothing like the elevators in my office building that I described a few posts earlier.
These could not possibly get any worse.  There is no ventilation or air conditioning, they smell like garbage and diaper rash cream (thanks to the "air freshener" dispenser), they travel at a speed of approximately one floor per minute, and at least one of the three of them is usually out of service.  Nearly 40 floors, at least 10 units per floor, and only two elevators.   I HATE these elevators.  And I can't take the stairs because they always have the damn doors locked.  

Today my elevator ride was enhanced by the sudden onset of fear of plunging 30 stories to my death.  

By the time the elevator arrived at my floor it was so full I could barely get on.  We continued down a few more floors and then four more people squeezed in.  
I wondered if I could hold my breath all the way to the bottom.  
The doors slowly closed.  
And then the word "Overload" appeared and began to flash vigorously. 

Now I don't know about you, but if I were an elevator designer who wanted to incorporate a flashing "overload" signal, I might just possibly design it so that the light comes on in time to be useful.  
Like, perhaps, before the door closes and the elevator begins its unbearably slow descent to the bottom level.  
In fact, I probably wouldn't allow the door to close and the elevator to move until someone shuffled their fat ass back off of it. 

Just a thought. 
Luckily, I survived.
Good to know.