Most of the time if anyone comes in it is to watch the television rather than actually exercise, so I nip that in the bud by commandeering the only remote before I take over the entire front wall.
See the pic below.. isn't it lovely?
The other day, however, my zen was interrupted by an alarmingly attractive western-looking guy about my age who came in to actually work up a sweat. I did my best to (pretend to) completely disregard his presence while I finished my routine, however it became obvious we were both keeping tabs on each other. This was inspiring since it's rare that western men here pay me any attention. They usually have either come with a wife and/or are completely consumed with their Indonesian girlfriend(s). It's quite an, uh, interesting expat culture in that regard.
Anyway, as I was rolling up my mat we struck up a conversation, exchanged vital facts, and decided to meet up again at a later date in normal clothes. Normally I avoid socialization at the gym at all costs. I similarly avoid socialization with excessively attractive men, because as we all know ladies, they can be trouble.
Desperate times call for desperate measures, however.
Luckily I did not have to wait too long before our next encounter. Because it would have really sucked if I'd wasted any more energy fantasizing about future vacations with
THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS PLANET I PROBABLY HAVE LESS IN COMMON WITH THAN PARIS HILTON.
It turns out this guy is really, really, into:
- talking about his wealth and how much he spends on things and why his life is superior to those around him in so many ways,
- flying around the world to exclusive clubs to party,
- name-dropping
- .... and that's about it.
On the bright side, since he's so often out of town for his important business trips and clubbing jaunts, it's unlikely he'll be interrupting my private yoga sessions again anytime soon.
![]() |
| All mine. |
