A

Adventures, musings, and scenes from a year spent working in Southeast Asia

December 16, 2011

Eat This: Another New Theme

Yesterday's post inspired the creation of an entirely new theme, "Eat This", which has been a long time coming.

Have you ever encountered an Indonesian restaurant in the States?  I challenge you to find one.  Even in DC.  I have it on good authority from an Indonesia who recently returned- There is not a single Indonesian restaurant in DC.  Why? Well, I won't pretend to be an authority on market forces.  But I suspect just perhaps that it might have something to do with the extent to which those of us who are not Indonesian find Indonesian food delightful.

Setting aside issues of taste, texture, and appearance, which I must admit are not aways completely unbearable, I have developed, thanks to getting sick on countless occasions during my first few months here,  an intense fear of food in Indonesia.   Am I just a paranoid hypochondriac?  Authorities say no.

Here's a few quotes:
Lonely Planet: "Never drink tap water." "Avoid ice." "Avoid fresh juices."
Everyday Indonesian: "Intermittent bouts of indigestion or mild diarrhea are to be expected... More serious, however, are intestinal parasites that can be picked up from food and utensils that are not hygienically handled." "Avoid all uncooked foods, including salads and garnishes."
Passport Health: "Always choose food that has been thoroughly cooked and is served hot, since heat destroys most contaminating bacteria." "Avoid raw foods, shellfish, pre-peeled fruit, and salad."
My new Indonesian doctor: "Here, take these four different types of pills and call me if your symptoms don't improve."

So, there you have it.  Now that you have a better understanding of the ominous nature of  sustenance for me here,   I will begin sharing some of the many culinary delights I encounter along the way.

I had the pleasure of enjoying this at a recent meeting.
Gado Gado, an Indonesian favorite.
Luke warm chunky brown sauce over raw vegetables.
Thank you!  Just what my intestines were craving!