A

Adventures, musings, and scenes from a year spent working in Southeast Asia

December 13, 2011

WTH: Plastic Wrapped Chairs

Shortly after I arrived, I attended a meeting at another office and was surprised to see the room filled with office chairs covered in plastic, as though they had just been taken out of the box.  It seemed a little odd that we were sitting in them, since normally one would remove the plastic on something before initial use.

Two weeks later I returned and the chairs were still wrapped in plastic.  I have since been to four different places where I have observed office chairs with the plastic still on.  Are these people immune to swamp ass??

After my initial torturous month here in a moldy long-stay hotel, I finally moved into a real apartment.  The landlord informed me he'd be providing me with new chairs for my balcony.  Yay. I came home to find two hard plastic patio chairs....plastic patio chairs... wrapped in plastic.  Furthermore, each piece of the chair - legs, seat, back, feet - had been wrapped individually in plastic. Before assembly.  So it was nearly impossible to cut out the plastic in the seams and joints of the legs and seat.
Why do you need to wrap a plastic chair in plastic???

Want to sit in this for 8 hours?

Partially deplastified balcony chair.
I ran out of patience by the time I got to this leg.