Unfortunately, all of the fancy globalized shopping malls that surround me in this upscale commercial corner of Jakarta happen to think it is winter. Every store is filled with winter items. Heavy, insufferable fabrics for this climate. Long sleeves. Long legs. Layers. Thick denim. Wool. Down. Whatever is on display at Banana Republic in blustery cold NY or London right now is on display here as well. I don't understand it. Who the hell buys this?
Obviously some Jakartans. They must have an entirely different system of body temperature regulation. I actually see people walking around outside with winter clothes on. It's the rainy season, people. It's not going to snow. I still need air conditioning. It's like, maybe 5 degrees cooler than the rest of the sweltering year. It is impossible (at least for me) to wear any of this in this environment. Yet every single store has out their winter displays.
Every.single.store.
Obviously some Jakartans. They must have an entirely different system of body temperature regulation. I actually see people walking around outside with winter clothes on. It's the rainy season, people. It's not going to snow. I still need air conditioning. It's like, maybe 5 degrees cooler than the rest of the sweltering year. It is impossible (at least for me) to wear any of this in this environment. Yet every single store has out their winter displays.
Every.single.store.
![]() |
| Break out your puffies! It's only 87 today! |
