A

Adventures, musings, and scenes from a year spent working in Southeast Asia

December 1, 2011

The beginning of a project I've been putting off

So, yes, work has sent me to Indonesia for what will probably be a year.  And now I’m starting this blog to capture and share my experience.  Not so much the work part, since that can be grueling and chaotic and consuming and I spend more than enough time on that already as it is.  The rest of my time.  The adventures, musings, and scenes that occur along the way.
I’ve been here two and a half months already.  So I should quickly recap what happened before I got around to starting this….
  • Arrive
  • Crazy, frantic, demanding work mode- do nothing but work, work, work, sleep in little fitful bits, and occasionally eat. Wonder what the heck I got myself into.
  • Despite non-stop work, become poignantly aware that Jakarta, where I am based, is NOTHING like the tropical Bali-themed Indonesian paradise you may have conjured in your head. 
  • Work trip to Thailand. Wish the office was there instead, like it was originally supposed to be.  The food is delicious. They have the clean and efficient sky train. You can actually walk around.  
  • Get Typhoid Fever, lay in bed and be miserable for 2 weeks, function in weakling zombie mode for 2 more weeks
  • Go through break up with boyfriend of nearly 3 years 
  • Can life get any shittier?!?!?!
    Deep breath…  Focus on the highlights….
  • Finally start to get healthy and eat and function like a normal human
  • Daily carpe diem mantras. I’m making lemonade, bitches!
  • Spontaneous trip to Yogyakarta (blog entry forthcoming)
  • Already time to renew my visa in Singapore. Ya-hoo! (blog entry forthcoming)
  • Thanksgiving / some kind of Indonesia holiday. Yippee! Fly to Phuket / Ko Phi Phi (blog entry forthcoming)
  • Finally sit down and start my blog